BRGS is a designated grammar school primarily for children who attend primary schools in Bacup, Rawtenstall and the surrounding areas. As a grammar school, our entire intake is selected on the basis of high academic ability.
We admit up to 180 students each year, based on their performance in our entrance examination, which is held each September. We hold an open evening each June to give parents and potential students the chance to look around the school before applying to sit our entrance examination.
Children must pass the entrance exam in order to be considered for a place. However, passing the examination is not a guarantee of a place due to our over-subscription criterion.
Appeals for places in Year 7, September 2020
If you wish to appeal for a place for your child in year 7 for September 2020 you can download an appeal form here. This should be completed and submitted to school by the end of the day, Friday 27th March 2020. Please clearly label your envelope “Appeals”. Our appeals are wholly independent of the school and are managed by Lancashire. Some guidance regarding the appeals process can be downloaded here.
A timeline for the management of appeals can be seen below:
1st March 2020: secondary places offered by the Local Authority; appeals process opened.
27th March 2020: appeals documentation submitted to BRGS by this date at the latest (by end of day).
Due to the coronavirus pandemic it is not possible to provide specific dates when appeals will be heard. We will update this information as soon as we have confirmation of dates.
Admissions, September 2021
If you wish to apply for a place in year 7 at BRGS you must first of all register your child to sit our entrance exam. (Registrations closed at 12 noon on the 23rd June 2020.) The exam will take place at school on Saturday 12th September 2020 - subject to a return to normality following the coronavirus lockdown. Please check our website regularly for updated information about any potential change to the entrance examination date.
All school activities are currently suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak. The following video will provide you with information you would have received had we been able to hold an open evening.
- The registration process – open evening talk
You will find the following documents of use:
- The Blue Book – this is the essential guide for applying to BRGS. It contains translations into Urdu and Bengali towards the back. You can download a copy here.
- Information for parents: “BRGS Familiarisation Booklet Entry 2021” - this document is produced by our test provider, CEM. It explains how the entrance exam operates. You will need to go through this with your children before the exam. Download a copy here.
- Sample Paper Sections: These are old, unused examples of test questions. Please note, although these are provided in subject sections the real exam will consist of two exam papers each containing a mix of these subject sections.
- Comprehension Familiarisation Sheet – download here.
- Maths Familiarisation Sheet – download here.
- Non-Verbal Reasoning Familiarisation Sheet – download here.
- Word Choice Familiairistion Sheet – download here.
Registration for the entrance exam closed at 12 noon on Tuesday 23rd June 2020. Late registrations are not accepted.
Registration is now closed.
Open Evening and Visits to School
School is currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. At present all school activities are suspended. Please check back on this page in due course for further information.
In-year admissions occur when a student leaves BRGS and a place becomes available. Information about in-year admissions can be found here. This information is a part of our overall admissions policy which is available here.