Please note that the school's most recent inspection was on the 14th and 15th June 2022.
The school was last inspected on the 19-20 January 2016.
In a letter to parents, Alan Porteous said: “This the best Ofsted report that BRGS has ever received; the outstanding judgement is a remarkable achievement, given the increased challenge in the most recent inspection framework. The report is testament to the dedication, commitment and energy of a superb team of staff supported by an experienced governing body. It is also a reflection of the quality of our students; during the inspection, the team were hugely impressed by their mature approach to their learning, their active engagement, their self-discipline and excellent behaviour. They did themselves, the school and you proud.”
The inspection report praised all aspects of the school and its sixth form:
- There is an “uncompromising vision of a thriving learning community with ambition and aspiration at its heart” and “a culture that enables pupils to excel as learners and develop as well-rounded citizens”.
- A culture of high expectations and aspirations is embedded further in the sixth form where outcomes for all groups are consistently outstanding.
- Remarkably good teaching supports pupils’ very high, and ever improving, levels of attainment and progress.
- Teaching and learning at the academy is exemplified by the very high expectations of teaching and the enthusiasm and high personal aspirations of the pupils. Relationships between teachers and pupils are extremely good.
- The academy is a very safe and purposeful environment where pupils value the autonomy they have to explore and develop as individuals. This has led to them becoming self-disciplined, reflective and independently-minded young people.
- Parents and carers are highly supportive of the leadership of the academy. The great majority believe their child to be safe, happy and well-taught.
- Little or no supervision is required to ensure that [the pupils] act in a calm and mature fashion. Pupils’ encounters with staff and visitors showed them to be unfailingly polite and helpful.
To view the school's performance in the latest Department for Education Performance Tables, please click here.